All About Ductless Mini-Split Systems
- Air Conditioner
Ductless Mini Splits
If you have a radiant heating system, space heaters or hydronic heat, ductless, mini-split heat pumps might be a good option to add heating for your home. They are also a good choice when you’re adding rooms to a home that doesn’t have a traditional ducted system, or for spaces that are very energy efficient and only need a small boost. Ductless mini-split systems are similar to standard heat pumps as they have an indoor air-handling unit as well as an outdoor compressor/condenser. The conduit links the two parts of the system together and contains the refrigerant tubing, power cables, condensate drain and suction tubing.
Advantages & Benefits
Ductless systems work well in spaces that are considered too tight for ductwork, or when you need to heat or cool a relatively small space. The specific number of units that you’ll need depends a great deal on the zone that each unit will cover — all dependent on the overall insulation rating of the building. These systems are relatively easy to install as they only require a very small hole (around 3 inches) to run the conduit. Even more convenience is gained because there can be a significant distance between the interior unit and the external condenser, up to 50 feet or more depending on the length of conduits available for your particular system. This allows you to place the unsightly exterior pieces further away from your home or apartment for aesthetic reasons.
Benefits of Going Ductless
- Energy loss is generally less than with a ducted system, where losses can be up to 30%
- More flexible options for mounting ductless systems: flush-mounted on the ceiling, hung from the wall, or suspended from the ceiling
- Are more sleek looking than traditional systems, and often come with a remote control for added convenience
- Window-mounted units may induce intruders and are less secure than ductless systems, as mini-splits only require a small 3 inch hole in the wall
- Potential energy savings because the units are more cost-effective and efficient to run
- Highly customizable: can be programmed to only turn on when the building is occupied, or on a timed schedule
- Ductless systems run cleaner than a ducted system. Air ducts are one of the primary areas for a buildup of dust, dirt, pollen and other contaminants and require frequent cleaning to maintain interior air quality
Interested in Ductless? Call Us!
We are an award-winning company that prides itself on offering the best heating and air conditioning services in Las Vegas and throughout the region. Regardless of what you want, you can have complete trust and confidence in us to provide you with top-notch HVAC solution and greatly enhance the comfort of your home. Call us today to learn more about switching to ductless!